The source of allergens can be inside your home, often in places beyond your imagination. Most of the allergens are from the environment, and some are from foods. There are places in your home where allergens can play a vital role in triggering an allergic reaction.
triggers such as mold, dust and pet dander lurk in every corner, often in unexpected places.
An allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder of the bodyâ€™s defense system. Allergic reactions occur when a personâ€™s immune system reacts to normally harmless substances. Substances that cause allergic reactions are called allergens.
Allergy Hotspots In Your Home
- Potted Plants
- Take a good look at your indoor plants. Mold spores can grow in the pots and spread to the floor. To minimize this, remove dead leaves, use saucers and avoid over-watering your plants.
- Your food for thought may also be food for pests. Book dust harbors mites, mold spores, and tiny critters called booklice, shown in this slide.
- Stuffed furniture
- Furniture stored in damp areas, such as basements, may grow mold spores, as shown here. Use a dehumidifier in damp rooms to reduce moisture.
- Weâ€™ve all seen mildew growing on shower tiles. Thatâ€™s the work of mold spores, which like to settle where itâ€™s warm and wet. Black mold often grows in hidden areas as well, contaminating areas behind walls or below the floor.
- This is a favourite room for mold. If your refrigerator has a drip pan, pull it out and scrub it regularly. Standing water attracts mold. Old, moldy food can also trigger allergies.
- Air Conditioner
- Air conditioning helps keep your home cool and dry, helping to fight allergens. But sometimes it can be part of the problem. As dust collects on the cooling coils, mold, like this cladosporium fungus, may begin to grow.
Note: If you find mold in any of the places mentioned above it is highly recommended to have your home inspected by a professional Mold inspector. You may have dangerous mold growing in areas of you home which you can not see. Exposure to indoor mold has been linked to respiratory problems, skin irritation, headaches, nausea and more.